You Do Have Legal Options

There are a number of ways to resolve a divorce, legal separation or other family law matter. In addition to traditional litigation (bringing a case to family court), alternative dispute resolution (ADR) may be available to help you resolve your case quickly and efficiently.

At Diane S. Freed, P.C. Attorney at Law, we provide Colorado clients with legal help with any of the following processes:

Litigation: This is the traditional approach in which a family law judge makes the ultimate decision for the parties. Litigation is typically appropriate in cases where there is a power imbalance between the two parties, or where the parties simply cannot reach a resolution in any other way. When we represent you in court proceedings, we aggressively advocate for your interests.

Alternative dispute resolution: There are a number of options apart from litigation that allow the parties to negotiate a resolution. Our family lawyer can assist you with:

  • Collaborative law: This process is most appropriate when the parties are able to work together to reach a resolution. Both parties are represented by attorneys, and both parties agree to resolve the matter without court involvement. Professionals, such as financial experts and therapists, are often involved in the collaborative process to ensure both parties have the information they need to reach an informed decision. Your attorney will ensure that your interests are addressed both today and for the future.
  • Early neutral case evaluation: Within 30 days of filing for divorce, the parties have the option of an early neutral case evaluation to talk with a team that includes a family law litigator, a parenting time evaluator, and possibly a child and family investigator. The team will review the facts of the case to evaluate how the case will likely be resolved if it goes to court. With this insight, the parties can begin to negotiate a settlement agreement.
  • Mediation:Mediation can be used alone or after an early neutral case evaluation to negotiate a settlement agreement. Mediation can be a cost-effective method to resolve the issues of divorce. Mediation is also required in many jurisdictions in a litigated case.
  • Arbitration
  • Special master

Unbundled legal services: We can provide limited representation to a party involved in a court proceeding by way of giving legal advice and providing help in drafting pleadings and other documents.

When you're ready to move ahead with a divorce, a child custody agreement or a child support matter, contact the Lakewood law office of Diane S. Freed, P.C., at 303-500-8865 or by email. We are happy to assist you.