Why Establish Paternity In Colorado?

Unmarried parents and married parents enjoy the same rights of child custody and visitation rights. When parents are not married, however, the state requires that paternity be established before the father is given equal rights to custody, and before the mother can seek financial support from the father.

Children have rights, too. One of their rights is to be supported by both parents, whether they are married or not. There are many reasons to establish paternity, and Diane S. Freed, P.C. Attorney at Law, can assist with this process.

Our lawyer has more than 30 years of experience in these and other family law cases. Let her put her extensive legal knowledge to work on your behalf. Call 303-500-8865 today.

What It Takes To Establish Paternity

When there is no dispute about who the father is, paternity is easy to establish with a simple document. When agreement is not there, the court will order a DNA test. Only when paternity is actually established, it is possible for:

Once a father's paternity rights are established, it is unlawful for the mother to deny visitation rights, or to move away without regard for the father.

Proving That A Man Is Not The Father

Paternity tests can go two ways. Yes, they establish paternity when the DNA test identifies a match with the child. But they can also disestablish paternity when the DNA does not match — relieving the man in question from any support obligations. Our firm helps men prove they are not fathers, as well.

Two Additional Parentage Considerations

  • Sometimes a man may not be the biological father, but is definitely a father figure in the child's life. We call these psychological parents, and there are legal remedies for them as well, which we are happy to discuss.
  • Same-sex parents have special parentage issues to establish as well. Colorado law governing same-sex parentage is still forming, but you do have rights, and we will help you protect them.

If you wish to discuss paternity — either establishing it or contesting it — email our Lakewood paternity attorney at Diane S. Freed, P.C., today at 303-500-8865.