Modifying Existing Court Orders

Things change, and the terms contained in agreements or court orders from a few years back may no longer apply to the lives you and your ex are living today. For this reason, Colorado has a modification process, to allow divorced people to formally amend the terms of divorce.

At Diane S. Freed, P.C. Attorney at Law, we can help you pursue a modification — or defend against one — depending on your needs. Our lawyer has decades of experience and is committed to providing the responsive representation you deserve.

When Can A Court Order Be Changed?

The issues behind most modifications are changes in income and employment, the ages and needs of the children, relocation and numerous other circumstances. If you lost your job, for instance, you may be able to modify your child support obligations.

Why Not Make Your Own Informal Modifications?

When these changes take place, you may think it is a lot easier to just call up your ex and negotiate a new arrangement for increased visitation or decreased support on the phone.

But beware: That informal agreement may be acceptable to the two of you, but in Colorado, the court must approve all modifications. A handshake agreement may come back to bite both sides. The best course of action is always to petition the court to formally enter these modifications, to avoid future misunderstandings.

The opposite also happens: The two exes are unable to agree on a change to the basic agreement. Such cases must be decided before a judge.

Let Us Help You Today

At Diane S. Freed, P.C. Attorney at Law, we are skilled at the complexities and the process of making divorce modifications. Our lawyer invites you to call for an initial consultation, to discuss ways to solve your problem.

The terms of divorce don't have to be written in cement. They can be altered through a modification petition. For more information, contact the Lakewood office of Diane S. Freed, P.C., at 303-500-8865.